For those who have completed Job Hazard Analysis forms: 'Universal Precautions' and 'Blood and Body Fluids' is now ROUTINE PRACTICES, which can be taken online. If you have taken anycore Biosafety training, these also cover Routine Practices.
If you are an undergraduate student who needs 'BIOSAFE 1BS0' for a lab course - this webpage is not for you. Please use the link at the top to go to BIOSAFE / HTHSCI 1BS0
All trainings listed below are offered on Mosaic. A FAQ is here. All employees, graduate students and undergraduate thesis/volunteer students should have access to Mosaic. Still no Mosaic access? Ask your Supervisor to add you as a "Person of Interest" if you qualify. The form is here.
All Supervisors and All Workers
Biosafety training has been updated as of September 1, 2016.
- Biosafety Training (BSLTRA) for all workers who handle risk group 1 and risk group 2 materials requiring level 1 or level 2 containment. This training is also to be taken by their Supervisors. If you have taken BSL1/2 for Workers/Supervisors you do not need to take this again.
- Biosafety Level 3 (BSL3) for all who handle risk group 3 materials that require containment level 3 facilities and practices. By PBAC approval only.
- Biohazard Awareness Training (BSAWAR) for those who do not handle biohazards but work in an area where they are present.
At this time all trainings listed above are "core" training and need only to be taken once. Every year after that, an annual refresher training is required to maintain your status as a BSL 1, 2 or 3 worker. This Biosafety Update (BSUPD) training is now offered on Mosaic.
Biosafety Training Required for Undergraduate Courses
Some courses require BIOSAFE 1BS0 which is identical to the previously offered 'Biosafety Level 1 for Workers'. This is offered through Mosaic/Avenue as a part of their course requirements. Consult your course handout and your course co-ordinator to determine if this is a requirment. Please note that - if required and completed - this course exists on your academic transcript, not on your safety training record because it is treated as an academic course.
Getting Access to the Courses
Please navigate to https://mosaic.mcmaster.ca to access the courses. After you enroll, it takes 24-48 hours for the course to show up in Avenue to Learn http://avenue.mcmaster.ca . Once you complete the modules in Avenue, it takes another 24 to 48 hours for the course to show up as complete in your Mosaic training record.
Downloading Your Accurate Training Record
Please follow this video to access and download the Accurate Training Record. This record contains the exact date of Completion, Enrolled or any other status. Watch a video which shows how to navigate to and bookmark this page. Make sure you have FLASH ENABLED to view this video.
PHAC Training Modules (Optional but recommended)
The Public Health Agency of Canada has free biosafety training modules online. These modules cover a wide variety of biosafety topics and include posters and other downloads.
Routine Practices Training
Routine Practices are infection control practices used in clinical environments. The labs using human specimens that are not found to be applicable under the Biosafety Program must take Routine Practices Training. This training is offered via Mosaic, and the course content is provided by the FHS Safety Office.
Biosafety Training (BSLTRA) Curriculum
- McMaster Biosafety Policies and Website
- Selection and Provision of Training
- Risk Groups, Containment Levels and Risk Assessments
- Pathogen Safety Data Sheets
- Laboratory Acquired Infections
- Biological Safety Cabinets
- Operational Practices
- Waste Management
- Sharps Handling
- Incident Reporting
- Emergency Response Plan
- Biological Spills
- Imports, Domestic Transfers and Exports
- Laboratory Inspections